You are here
This course has been approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
What will you learn on this course?
The four-day Comprehensive GC-MS Training course introduces the fundamental theory of quadrupole GC-MS along with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of the Agilent single quadropole MSD using MSD Chemstation software.
This course includes an introduction to quadrupole mass spectrometry; hardware configuration; MS tuning; data acquisition in scan and selected ion monitoring (SIM) modes; qualitative & quantitative data analysis; reports; sequencing; and an introduction to macros and retention time locking.
The course will train the operator to perform the maintenance required to ensure the smooth running of the instrument. The course also discusses the principles of troubleshooting by examining the effects of faults in the system on the chromatographic output. This course includes an introduction to troubleshooting and maintenance focusing on tunes & diagnostics, GC considerations, vacuum system, ion source, quadrupole mass filter and MS detector.
It combines a mixture of classroom based presentations with hands-on software and hardware lab exercises, to give you comprehensive training.
You can attend all 4 days of the course for a complete training solution. Alternatively you can attend the 2-day Comprehensive GC-MS Hardware (Agilent SQ MS) course or 2-day Comprehensive GC-MS Software Training (MSD Chemstation) course for specific training on hardware or software.
- You will learn the theory & principles of mass spectrometry focusing on the quadrupole GC-MS
- You will become familiar with the Agilent single quadropole Mass Spectrometer instrumentation learning about the function & operation of individual components
- You will gain experience of adjusting the important MS parameters
- You will gain practical experience of performing maintenance of each MS component including vacuum system, ion source, quadrupole mass filter & detector
- You will learn the strategies and gain practical experience of instrument troubleshooting
- You will learn the operation of the MSD ChemStation software
- You will learn installation, set-up and have an overview of the software
- You will learn about the different tuning methods, undertake air/water checks & an autotune then interpret the results
- You will learn how to create a full scan and SIM method to gain an understanding of each method type
- You will analyse individual samples and create sequences for analysing multiple samples
- You will undertake qualitative data analysis including library searching
- You will undertake quantitative data analysis creating calibration curves and producing appropriate sample reports
- You will have an introduction to macros and learn retention time locking
Who is this course for?
This course is primarily for analysts and technicians responsible for the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of Agilent quadrupole GC-MS instruments with MSD Chemstation. Please note that while the hands on training will take place on an Agilent 5975 or 5973 the course is suitable for all models of Agilent single quadropole MSD.
Course Venue: ATSG at the Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
Number of days: 4
Price: �1225 plus 20% VAT
Special offers (discounts cannot be combined):
- Early Bird: Book at least 12 weeks in advance and receive a 10% discount for this 4-day course.
- Student: Discount of 10% for this 4-day course (valid student ID card required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- RSC Member: Discount of 10% for this 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- ChromSoc Member: Discount of 10% for this 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Warwick alumni: Discount of 10% for this 4-day course (membership number required) if booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
- Group Discount: 4 colleagues from the same company can attend for the price of 3, when attending the same course